IGNORED

How do you say it? (NES and SNES)

0xDEAFC0DE

How do you say it? (NES and SNES)  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Nintendo Entertainment System

2. 2. Super Nintendo Entertainment System

7 hours ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

Always Nintendo and Super Nintendo. But it never shocked me when people say the acronym. I remember seeing a British tv show about video games on Youtube way back when I started collecting that said it that way I can never remember the name of the show though. Had a boy and girl host. The girl had shor/buzzcut-ish blonde hair

Bad Influence. It was basically the best show on TV as a kid!

Cheesy as hell if you watch it today, of course, but it's full of interesting history looking at how these games were thought of and marketed when they were new!

• Thanks 1
  • Wow! 1

1 hour ago, OptOut said:

Bad Influence. It was basically the best show on TV as a kid!

Cheesy as hell if you watch it today, of course, but it's full of interesting history looking at how these games were thought of and marketed when they were new!

Haha man that Indian dude couldn’t be any more excited if he tried /s 

Guess it must be a regional thing then. PAL regions ness/nez (nez due to accent most likely) and the US N-E-S. but some regions of the US appear to be ness going by the comments here.

Honestly the spelling out of N-E-S blows my mind the most. Sounds like way too much work haha.

I really had no idea people spelled it. Probably would have got laughed at and called a nerd back in the day around here.

Edit: Not sure if this is viewable in other countries but Australia had a great gaming program for about 12 years called Good Game. It wasn’t cheesy and actually reviewed a lot of great games. See if you can access this: https://www.abc.net.au/tv/goodgame/video/?year=2007

Edited by Brickman
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Brickman said:

Guess it must be a regional thing then. PAL regions ness/nez (nez due to accent most likely) and the US N-E-S. but some regions of the US appear to be ness going by the comments here.

Honestly the spelling out of N-E-S blows my mind the most. Sounds like way too much work haha.

I really had no idea people spelled it. Probably would have got laughed at and called a nerd back in the day around here.

I grew up in south Florida and no one said “n.e.s.” or “ness”. I think that’s a generational thing. When I was 5-10 years old in the late 80’s into the early 90’s we all said “wanna go play Nintendo?”. I never heard a kid say “n.e.s.” And until around 2000 I never heard anybody say “ness/nez”, that shit definitely would have gotten you pushed in the mud and laughed at. I can only think the people saying “ness/nez” have to be the kids getting into Nintendo (8-bit) after the Super Nintendo was released.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, docile tapeworm said:

I grew up in south Florida and no one said “n.e.s.” or “ness”. I think that’s a generational thing. When I was 5-10 years old in the late 80’s into the early 90’s we all said “wanna go play Nintendo?”. I never heard a kid say “n.e.s.” And until around 2000 I never heard anybody say “ness/nez”, that shit definitely would have gotten you pushed in the mud and laughed at. I can only think the people saying “ness/nez” have to be the kids getting into Nintendo (8-bit) after the Super Nintendo was released.

Oh yeah true I should have said here it was also common to just call it Nintendo until the snes came out then it was something like original Nintendo or ness. At least that’s how I’m remembering it haha.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Brickman said:

Yeah I wouldn't actually distinguish between the pronunciations of "ness" and "nez" as like separate terms, they are the same thing just reading the acronym NES with different accents.

I say nes with more of a harder voiced 'z' sound because that's how we pronounce that -es sound in the South of England. Further north or in the west of England it would be pronounced softer, so more like the ness, unvoiced 's' sound.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JamesRobot said:

I don't think I came across the term toaster till I was on NA.  I distinctly remember wondering wtf a toaster was. 😕

I  think the first place I heard toaster was AVGN when he got a Nintendo that actually looked like a toaster.  I’ve rarely seen it used in everyday conversations.

Administrator · Posted

Back in the day, it was always just "Nintendo" and later, "Super Nintendo."

Practically, I now refer to it as either "original Nintendo" or "N.E.S." 

And I typically still say Super Nintendo - sometimes S.N.E.S. just depending on the situation.

I think it's just a preference thing, and I'll never understand why people get SOOO worked up / angry, about someone else saying "ness" or "sness."  There is a weird level of disdain or judgment for that.  To me, it's obvious what they are talking about so I don't really get bothered 🤷‍♂️

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, spacepup said:

I think it's just a preference thing, and I'll never understand why people get SOOO worked up / angry, about someone else saying "ness" or "sness."  There is a weird level of disdain or judgment for that.  To me, it's obvious what they are talking about so I don't really get bothered 🤷‍♂️

Because are we just gonna let these people walk around living free saying “ness/snez” with no consequence? 

• Haha 1

Just say it the way the commercials did...N-E-S and Super N-E-S.

And you know how Nintendo intentionally made the NES to resemble a VCR?  Sure enough, at least where I was from, during the prime of the NES' life the games were often referred to as "Nintendo tapes".

• Like 1

Here's the updated combinations:

• N-E-S and S-N-E-S (10): a3quit4s, TDIRunner, Strange, ZeldaFreak, Philosoraptor, Hammerfestus, DefaultGen, Renmauzo, Tanooki, Van Jackson
  • N-E-S and Sness (3): 0xDEAFC0DE, Reed Rothchild, Kguillemette
  • N-E-S and Snez (1): guitarzombie
  • N-E-S and Super Nintendo (8): Richardhead, nesmaster14, twiztor, FireHazard51, RH, fox, cj_robot, RegularGuyGamer
  • N-E-S and Super S-N-E-S (6): Tulpa, captmorgandrinker, scaryice, CMR, Bearcat-Doug, Code Monkey
  • Ness and Sness (2): Brickman, DarkTone
  • Ness and Super Nintendo (1): G-type
  • Nez and Snez (1): OptOut
  • Nintendo and Super Nintendo (8): darkchylde28, Link, LeatherRebel5150, DoctorEncore, JamesRobot, VGCollectaholic, docile tapeworm, spacepup

"N-E-S and S-N-E-S" is in the lead with 10, closely followed by "N-E-S and Super Nintendo" and "Nintendo and Super Nintendo" with 8 each. "N-E-S and Super S-N-E-S" has 6 peoples support and everything else is 3 or lower.

For both I spell it out, but I also will say NES or NIntendo at times for the original, and call the other the SuperNES or Super Nintendo.

If you see old promotional video from the company that's how they intermix it too so I feel that's the right way and only intelligent way to say such things.  Usually though Nintendo would just say the full name since it's branding, but I was thinking in side talk caught on video at shows etc.

What gets me as it's like nails on a chalkboard is when the others are used, especially calling the older the NEZ or the other the SNESS or SNEZ.  I've corrected people before on it because it's so grating, and if I catch someone being a fount of intelligence on youtube and they utter it, I'm done...it goes off.  I put it at the level of stupidity as someone calling Pokemon PO-KEY-MON.  There is a reason that line is over the E fool 😄Pokémon

Graphics Team · Posted

Speaking aloud, I say "N-E-S" and "Super Nintendo".

But in my head, I always say "ness" and "ssness" because I'm one of those youngster Youtube collectors who wasn't around in the 8-bit / 16-bit era (and the forums have taught me that I'll get bullied for making the acronyms into a word haha).

-CasualCart

On 2/6/2022 at 6:00 AM, Estil said:

And you know how Nintendo intentionally made the NES to resemble a VCR?  Sure enough, at least where I was from, during the prime of the NES' life the games were often referred to as "Nintendo tapes".

Started with Atari tapes.  

That overlapped just enough with the 8-track era and worked similarly enough, so that's probably where it came from.

3 hours ago, captmorgandrinker said:

Started with Atari tapes.  

That overlapped just enough with the 8-track era and worked similarly enough, so that's probably where it came from.

Actually the Fairchild Channel F cartridges were much more like 8-tracks whereas Atari 2600 cartridges are closest to about cassette (with case) size.

I say "N-E-S" and "Super Nintendo" usually. However, in the 90's, I used to call the NES "regular Nintendo" and I thought SNES was pronounced "sneeze." In the early 2000's, I started calling the NES "original Nintendo" because I used to call NOA regularly and that's what the guy in the recording said. It wasn't until the late 2000's or early 2010's that I said "N-E-S" more often.